Tuesday, November 26, 2013

On Failure

"From failure you learn. From successs, not so much."

"I propose a toast to Lewis and his brilliant failure."

- Meet the Robinsons


I have been thinking about failure and how much it bothers me. And being an introvert, public failure is the worst. I didn't realize how much of a problem this was for me until I saw Raccoon mirroring my behavior. Somehow he's picked up the message that he needs to be perfect and cannot fail. He even told the King that I was perfect, which is why he gets so mad when I forget things. Sweet but wrong. I had a long talk with him about that.  

At the heart of this lie is fear, as with most lies, because in my head there is this equation:
Failure = Rejection (Loss of Belonging)

I like the movie, Meet the Robinsons, because the little boy, Lewis, feels like he needs to succeed at his inventions to have a family and be happy.

In our family, it is not exactly the failure that I want to celebrate, but the trying. 

So I will continue with a pet project of mine that seems a little ridiculous at this point, but perhaps will turn into something better with each attempt.

And speaking of failure, I haven't really gotten any of my draft posts published like I'd hoped, so here's to NaBloPoMo and my failure!

No comments:

Post a Comment