Thursday, November 28, 2013

A Family Thanksgiving

We did it! This morning every piece of furniture I own was in my living room, beds and bureaus included (the church housing we're living in is being remodeled). After some cleaning and moving, we now have a bedroom again. I can't even put into words how thankful I am about that.

This afternoon we celebrated with my brother and his family, my parents, and my brother's mother-in-law. There were 14 of us and it was a noisy, beautiful mess. It was everything I'd hoped and prayed for when I invited everyone to my place.

But I also said a prayer for the elderly, the homeless, the addicted, the lonely, the families in mourning, and the people who have given up. I know how some of these things feel and I know what it is like to be without my family on the holidays. May the special grace of Jesus touch all of our lives today.

My favorite thankful comment at our table? My 11 year old niece who said, "I'm thankful for oxygen."

This is a fitting T-day quote:

"People can live off everything from whale blubber to seeds and grasses. You want to know what the ideal human diet consists of? Everything. Humans can and will eat everything, and we are remarkably successful not in spite of this fact, but because of it. Our adaptability is the hallmark of the human species. We’re not called omnivores for nothing.” - Dr. Britta Hoyes

No comments:

Post a Comment