Friday, November 29, 2013

Book Notes & DEAR Day: His Majesty's Dragon

The most recent thing I have read for pure enjoyment was the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik. There are 7 in the series and more to come. In general, I like book series because I can quickly go from one to the next and not agonize in the library aisles as I try to choose between unknown books. I also found it heartening for my own prospects as a someday-wannabe-writer that she was able to successfully write yet another dragon series. If I ever do write, I realized that I don't have to start out with a completely new idea as long as I have something interesting to offer.

I like how she starts the series off with known history and adds a twist, then deviates completely to her own alternate history as the series progresses. She also developed the dragons as other-than-human, with different concerns and rules, which interested me. And I think most people enjoy the theme of "underdog turns out to be key player."







* My high school English teacher, mentor, and friend has started a movement called DEAR (drop everything and read) on the final Friday of each month to encourage people to "set aside other pursuits to read for enjoyment and growth." As far as I'm concerned, every day is a DEAR day in my house, but I would like to do a special post to support this idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment