Friday, December 7, 2012

Foody Friday

When I think back on my childhood, I don't feel like I was a selective eater (like my son). But upon reading this post I had to rethink things, especially after the last line, "Next time your cousin or co-worker shows up to a get together around food claiming she already ate, don’t judge.  Show her where the rolls are and don’t question what she eats." I remember my mom saying that I lived on rolls and plain noodles with butter whenever we were away from home, which - due to my parent's jobs - was every weekend from when I was 6 to almost 9 years old. My mom also says we were a remarkably picky family, but it didn't necessarily seem like it because she only made things we would eat.

According to the above post, there are 3 factors involved in selective eating, and Raccoon has them all. No wonder we struggle!

Physical - Does the subject have environmental or food allergies? Does the subject have an acute sense of smell or taste? Yes and yes.

Sensory (Neurological) - Sensory issues? Yes. Super sensitive to texture? Yes. Are "safe foods" brand specific? Oh boy.

Psychological  - Reflux or digestive disorders? Yes and yes.

Around middle school, I remember suddenly liking many more things (such as tomatoes and beans), so I'm holding on to hope for my son.



Foody Friday is my way of sharing the struggles and joys of having a resistant eater, the category way beyond picky.

No comments:

Post a Comment