Saturday, April 27, 2013

Pass the Baby

This is a post about Robin. It's high time she gets one at three months (tomorrow!), but the truth of the matter is that she is an easy baby. I promised her before she was born that no matter what she was like, I wouldn't take her for granted. Mostly, I wanted this to mean that I would still spend time and invest in her even if she wasn't screaming for it (like her brother, ahem).

These last two days she has earned a baby medal, sitting in her carseat for hours while going with me on all sorts of errands. She did it all with a smile on her face (or asleep), what a gift!

But there is one thing that I don't know how to navigate with her because she is so mellow. When our other two were babies, SB and Raccoon, we rarely let others hold them. With SB, it was because she was blind and easily scared. With Raccoon, he just didn't really like other people. It was easy to say no when people asked to hold them since we knew they would both cry instantly. But Robin is such a different baby that I've been passing her around pretty much since birth, enjoying being able to say yes.

One afternoon she was out of sorts, and my husband made an offhand remark, something like, "Of course she's feeling cranky, you've been passing her around all day." I instantly felt guilty because I had seen her little questioning face go by several times as my sisters-in-law held her and passed her around. She occasionally smiles at someone unknown, but she mostly she saves her ear to ear grins for me or Raccoon.

So this is my public apology to you, Robin, and my commitment that I will not pass you to strangers (to you) just so that I can get things done. Even though you don't scream about it, I know that you still just want to be with your family, for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment