Monday, December 16, 2013

How to Hygge

I read an article the other day about words that don't exist in English but should, and "hygge" wasn't on there, but I think it should be. This article does a great job explaining it.

I was definitely feeling some hygge today at the post office when it took me more than an hour to mail 5 packages. Everyone was in merry spirits and we compared notes about what was in our packages (one lady exclaimed after seeing mine, "I never thought about sending shoes in a padded envelope!"). Another woman collected stamps and was sending her sister some socks. Another man had been sent by his wife and had to make sure his four large boxes arrived BEFORE Christmas or he'd never hear the end of it. We all found out from the last person in line that it was expected to be the post office's busiest day of the year. The woman behind me held my packages shut while I taped them up.

And so it went. There was a special sense of community and camaraderie that I wish lasted all year long.

No comments:

Post a Comment