Wednesday, November 7, 2012

I am... Fat

I was at a park with my son recently and I had the following conversation with a complete stranger (note: I live in a country where personal comments are not seen as inappropriate).

Her: Is he your only son?
Me: Yes, and one on the way.
Her: How much time do you have left?
Me: Three months.
--She looks at me again, slowly.--
Her: Oh, I didn't notice that you were pregnant, I thought you were just fat.

And a few days earlier, I was visiting somewhere I haven't been for 6 months or more. This is a recreation of the conversation I had with the guard.

Him: How are you? Anything new?
Me: I'm pregnant.
Him: Congratulations. I could tell that you're a lot heavier than the last time I saw you. I'm glad it's because you're pregnant and not just fatter.

Okay, so here's the thing. When pregnant with Raccoon, I gained 40 pounds total, and so far I've only gained about 24 pounds with baby Robin, but apparently this time around I look bigger? Even my husband thinks I'm as big at 6 months with baby Robin as I was at 9 months with Raccoon. I had to look at pictures tonight to see for myself... it might be true. That and I have the same squarish belly.

One more thing to make you say, huh? Raccoon weighs exactly the same on my home scale and the doctor's scale. Exactly. But I, on the other hand, weigh 10 pounds more at the doctor's office! Not just one or two, but ten. How is this possible?!

Totally not important in the grand scheme of things, but it's NaBloPoMo, so I had to write about something, right? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment