Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A Goldilocks Day

Today we are stuck in yes-no-too-much-not enough land. Raccoon seems caught between baby and little boy, making everything a wrong fit.

"I want to be an Indian." I help him put on his headdress which he immediately tears off and throws to the ground.

"I want you to paint my face." I do and he wipes it off immediately, as if I'm torturing him.

"I want to play boat." Throws a fit that our boat is too small, rejects every idea for how to build a different boat.

Then we cycle back to #1 "I want to be an Indian," as if I'm stopping him from fulfilling his destiny.

Yesterday was a whiny day. Today started off better, but quickly descended into whiny land once again. I try to remind myself that he whines when he doesn't feel good, when he's tired, or when everything is just too much. I pray and ask the Lord to give me strength. Not patience (I don't want more trials, thank you very much), but endurance, grace, mercy. To not raise my voice. To not sit on the couch and cry with him after a morning of "everything's wrong." To figure out something reasonable for lunch, now that we've eaten all the ice cream and chips.

And one last prayer for the day, "Please, Lord, let today have a naptime in it."

No comments:

Post a Comment