Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Parenting the Child I Have

I found this quote recently and loved it.

"Parent the child you actually HAVE. Not the one you "think" you have, the one you 'wish' you had, or the one OTHER people think you should have."

It reminds me of this quote from Joan Ryan, which I found here.

"Motherhood is about raising the child you have, not the child you thought you would have. It's about understanding he's exactly the person he's supposed to be. And that, if you're lucky, he just might be the teacher who turns you into the person you are supposed to be."


Watching Raccoon play in the park tonight, I just can't get over how much like a big boy he looks, and how much he's changed this year. Each year I've looked forward to watching him grow, but I think the changes between three and four are going to be the most surprising yet. He's overcome so many of his fears, such as loud noises. He can even use the hand dryer in public bathrooms now without freaking out and he asked to leave a crowded area today for a more quiet one. Despite the bad moments (when will he sleep?!), I am full of hope for our future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment