Sunday, October 7, 2012

Baby Robin is Sideways

I know that my posts have been very up and down lately. Blame it on pregnancy hormones and extra sensitivity to the highs and lows. This one is a bit of a downer. Just warning you in advance. Not actual bad news, just thoughts.

When I went for my 20 week ultrasound, I noticed on the report that it said the baby is transverse (sideways) instead of head down. This explains why I can feel her kick so much more than I felt Raccoon at this point. I can actually feel her little head pressing on my left side just under my ribs, and her feet high up on my right. I didn't think much of it until my doctor also commented on it at my follow-up appointment. She didn't say much, but it seemed to be important for some reason. I am curious by nature, so I googled it.

I read a blog post called, "The baby who wouldn't turn" (I don't recommend it), and was impacted by this paragraph:

"Prior to safe C-sections, women who labored with a baby in the transverse position simply died, and the baby died with them. Nowadays, the standard method of delivering a baby in the transverse position is a C-section. Sometimes, though, you can coax the baby from the transverse position to the head down position. This is called “version.” It involves using your hands to literally turn the baby to the proper position."

Not for the first time in my life, I am so thankful to have been born in this time and place and not long ago. Before reading this traumatizing blog post, I probably would have considered trying to turn the baby and holding out for a natural birth, but now, I really just want to make sure that baby Robin and I go home healthy and safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment