Saturday, March 31, 2012

Realizing that I am a special needs mom

I have been spending time with extended family lately, and have been getting "the look" and even a few of "the talks." You know, the ones that say, "You clearly aren't disciplining your child enough." I've been trying to stay calm with Raccoon who has been particularly difficult due to all the changes and illnesses, and with my family who is watching in apparent disapproval, or disbelief, I'm not sure. So I mumble trite things to my relatives like, "Gotta love those terrible twos."

They have no idea what my life is like, or what goes on in my home every day. Yes, I have made certain choices. I'm in the trenches folks, and I have to pick my battles (very few) just to stay alive day-to-day. Why do I only have a few? Because Raccoon will win if I don't conserve every last drop of energy for our few confrontations. Strong-willed? Puh-lease, that doesn't even begin to describe my treasured and wonderfully bright son. Even my husband cannot watch Raccoon for more than an hour on a good day.  But he is fragile too and I do not want to break his spirit.

The one good thing is that all the open-mouth stares have pushed me from "I am parenting a difficult (albeit wonderful and loved) child" to "I am a special needs parent." I think I'm going to have to come up with a Ryan Gosling meme for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment