Friday, March 2, 2012

What If We...

I liked the video posted by Christina Fonseca under the blog entry, "Together, We CAN do more."

My two favorites were:
What if we wished without limits?
What if we made an effort to share our histories?

My husband and I have recently been talking about what we would do if we suddenly came into money. A pleasant daydream at least. We decided that we would divide the money half/half for each of us to do as we pleased. He is very practical, and I lately have been leaning more towards that, feeling that it is the "right" way to go. I thought of hypothetically investing in land or a house so we'd have some collateral in our old age. But if I really wished without limits, what I truly want to do is travel. When Raccoon is older... 5 or 10 or 15 maybe... I want to see Europe and Africa and Asia. I would like to travel with my mom and my son (if he's still into museums at that point, if not then he can stay home with his grandfather and Dad for a camping trip or something). That is my wish without limits.

Making an effort to share our histories... there was something I recently wanted to share with someone, but I didn't. Fear of opening up, of not being understood, of being vulnerable, that it wasn't the right time or we'd be interrupted... all these things kept my mouth shut. Ironically, what I wanted to express but didn't was the wish that someone had spoken up to me earlier in my life about some issues I was facing. Perhaps it was fear that also kept them quiet. I wanted to encourage my friend not to be afraid to speak up, but there I was, keeping quiet myself. In honor of this thought - "what if we..." - I decided to commit to saying what it was I wanted to say, either in person or with an e-mail. Soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment