Saturday, December 22, 2012

Is it 2013 yet?

Well, with several illnesses, allergy outbreaks, vehicle troubles, severe sleeplessness, financial questions, and just general chaos, this December has pretty much been a bust in terms of resting up before the baby comes in January (or early February). Today I was supposed to do a FlyLady update, but that's been a bust, too.

I was hoping to take Raccoon to several of our Christmas parties, to teach him about giving to those less fortunate to celebrate Christ. We ended up only making it to one place, where Raccoon promptly caught a horrible cold virus and we are now all on the verge of collapse. Sigh. Not exactly what I had in mind for a cheery Christmas.

My way of coping is to make a PLAN. So now, my new plan for 2013, at least January and February, is to STAY HOME. More and more I have been letting Raccoon eat things that he should not have with his allergies (like Christmas candy, pizza, cookies, lollipops, etc), because it is hard for me to constantly tell him no when we are out and about. I tell myself, "It'll be okay," but it is actually not okay. He gets rashes, fevers, doesn't sleep, and the list goes on. I need to adhere to his dietary restrictions, for the sake of all of us.

This means talking to the playgroup moms, again, and asking them to please not bring snacks he can't have. This means not eating out, anywhere. This means grocery shopping completely and on time each week so that I have alternatives to offer him. This means cutting out some easy meals I've come to rely on to fill in his limited diet. I hope that this also means a happier and healthier Raccoon who once again sleeps through the night (remember, that actually means only 6-7 consecutive hours).

Here's to trying again in the new year, which gives me 9 more days to contemplate my favorite Charlie Brown quote:

“Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, ‘Where have I gone wrong’.
Then a voice says to me, ‘This is going to take more than one night.”
                                                                           
                                                                            ― Charles M. Schulz

No comments:

Post a Comment