Friday, December 21, 2012

Foody Friday

Seeing Raccoon eat and eat and eat, even if it is from his limited menu, is one of my greatest joys. I'd rather write about our rare days of triumph than the many, many days that we struggle with eating. More often than not, my days are consumed by food-related thoughts and questions as I keep a mental list of what I've offered and what has been eaten, played with, spit out, or totally rejeccted.

Has he eaten enough? Is he gaining weight? Is he growing? Is he getting enough variety? Did I remember to give him his acid reflux medication (twice a day) and his vitamins? Will he eat this, and can he, with all of his allergies? And if he does eat X, what consequences will we all suffer (crankiness, sleeplessness, tummyache, rash, hives)?

But yesterday I got a break from all the worrying. It was not only a good day, but awesome! which looks like this for Raccoon:

8 purple grapes (halved, no seeds)
mozzarella cheese (20-ish 1 cm cubes)
2 slices chicken ham (cut into squares)
1 medium apple (whole, although sometimes I slice it)
small bowl of noodles w/spaghetti sauce
1 c. herbal tea (lemongrass, also called hierba luisa)
1 raw carrot (quartered, half spit out, half went down, new!)
small bowl of rice w/ ketchup
1/2 filet white fish (broiled w/salt)
1/2 c. chocolate rice milk (new!)
several cups of water

I don't know how this compares to what an average 3 year old eats in a day, but for Raccoon, it's a huge amount of food and cause for celebration. With the exception of a few fruits and meat, this is also pretty much a list of the only foods (except for the two new items) we can count on him eating consistently.


Foody Friday is my way of sharing the struggles and joys of having a resistant eater, the category way beyond picky.

No comments:

Post a Comment