Sunday, December 23, 2012

34 Weeks Pregnant

I had my latest appointment at almost 33 weeks. She has been doing acrobatics in my belly, so on my list of questions was to ask if the umbilical cord was around her neck. Sure enough, she's got one loop there. My doctor is very mellow and said it's not a problem. After I got home, I like to look at the ultrasound printout he gives me each visit because it shows what week she's measuring at and my estimated due date. Most of the measurements were at 34 weeks, but I noticed that one of the measurements was only at 30 weeks, her AC. After consulting with Dr. Google, turns out this is abdominal circumference.

When there is a significant discrepency between HC (head circumference) and AC, it can mean that the baby's growth is being restricted by something, and the condition is called IUGR (intrauterine growth restriction). Generally this is determined by weight percentiles, and my doctor did say her weight is fine for her gestational age (4 lbs something), but IUGR can also be determined by measurements. I probably wouldn't have even thought anything of it, except that I'd just recently heard of it on another blog I follow.

My doctor said everything is fine and that she's doing beautifully, so right now this is all in my mind. I still felt very worried for the next few days after the appointment, because as I've mentioned before, I have been concerned (up until now without reason) about baby Robin during this pregnancy in a way that I never was with Raccoon. I just want everything to turn out well.

My next appointment is January 7th, but I may go in December 28th if my doctor is going to be in the office. In the meantime, I hope. I trust. And I continue to pray. As if to reassure me, baby Robin has been more active then ever the last few days. I feel like her foot is going to pop right out of my belly. But I welcome the reminder that she is there, and so far, all is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment