Friday, November 11, 2011

Advent

I just wanted to mention a great post about Advent, with lots more good ideas in the comments. When I was 5 years old or so, my family didn't have much money for Christmas. To make December more special, my very creative mom decided to give my brother and I something little every day, starting on the 1st until the 24th. She continued this tradition all the way through college for both of us, eventually adding our spouses as well. It didn't matter how little the gifts were, soon I was the envy of all my friends. "Something every day until Christmas, wow!" I just thought my mom was great, I had no idea we were relatively poor. My mom called the December presents "Advent" and other things were added to our family tradition as the years passed - old serial stories from the newspaper, readings about Christmas and Christ, along with periodic candle lightings and special church services.

Raccoon is 2 this year and I just realized when I read the above post that I'd better get busy if I want to start our own Advent traditions this year!

P.S. One of my prayers this last month is that I will be bold in sharing Jesus and my faith in Him, and that I will be able to share His love with Raccoon this year as we enter the Christmas season.

No comments:

Post a Comment