Tuesday, February 27, 2018

If I Were a Rich Girl...

A few weeks ago, I was humming around my kitchen doing everyday things when the first two lines of this popped into my head. I decided that it would be fun to run with it for a bit, and discovered many more -ook/-ay combinations that I expected. It started out just as fun but ended up being more poignant than I expected as my heart let a little longing out.

(can be sung to the tune of "If I Were a Rich Man" from Fiddler on the Roof.
Repeat ,"If I were a rich girl, la di da di..." between each verse.)



If I Were a Rich Girl

I would feed my cats three times a day
And I'd never ever cook.

I would live a quiet kind of way
with my nose stuck in a book.

I would always know just what to say
Even if awhile it took.

I would learn to dance and lean and sway
with my head a little crook.

I would have a beach house on the bay
windows lighting every nook.

I would plant my fragrant apple way,
and hang hats on every hook.

I would have my friends please come and stay
and we'd share a laughing look.

I would learn to pray and pray and pray
for a heart that never shook.

I would thank the Potter for the clay,
Never did He me forsook.

No comments:

Post a Comment