Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Everything is easier with superpowers



Some friends came to visit today and said our new fence (not up yet in this picture of Raccoon in our front yard) makes our land look like the Ark. Then she saw our 4 dogs (not really ours but they wandered over from next door and never went home), a hen with 8 chicks (also not ours), a hoarse rooster (ditto), two guinea hens (ditto), and our two kittens (actually ours). Yup, she said, it's like the Ark.

I've been looking for a name for our land, something amazing of course. I remember reading a book by Madeleine L'Engle and she called her country home Crossroads (correction: Crosswick). Laughing at Chaos calls her parent's home Wit's End. I wanted something like that, so I could casually say to a friend, "Hey, would you like to come out to _____?" The King wanted to call it Bonanza, but that's not exactly what I was looking for in a name.

I feel like what I should be writing about is how we are settling in, how the strangeness is fading, how we spend more time away from home than here and I want to change that, but names are on my mind instead.

Haven Hill is what I wanted to call it, but the King vetoed that. So on the search goes.

Speaking of naming, I can't seem to decide what to call our kittens. Raccoon wanted Flower and Chalk. I changed the first to Sunflower which stuck (she is going to be big and yellow, ha ha) but the other kitty has been through Ladybug, Lily, Ruby, Daffodil, Dandelion, Marigold, Pumpkin, and Tiger. I though another flower name would be nice. She's white and black and orange. What kind of flower has those colors? Okay, so I just cheated and googled "flower cat names."

And the winner is.... Tiger Lily (now why didn't I think of that, one of each from the King and I, ha ha).

On to naming our house, which is currently called "Our Land." Not so glamorous.

I wish I really did have superpowers, I think all mothers could use at least one. Awhile ago I think I wrote a post on which one I'd want. Tonight I'd choose superspeed. Hang those clothes before my daughter finds that bucket of water? Awesome.

This is a trivial post, perhaps even a tedious one, but I had fun writing it. Off to bed I go.

2 comments:

  1. Naming your land is a great idea. G's parents refer to their house as Happy Valley and serve Happy Valley Spaghetti on Friday nights. Isn't that great! think Madeleine L'Engle's place was called Crosswicks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, you're totally right. Guess I should edit that. :) I love the idea of naming a dish after our home.

      Delete