Monday, January 21, 2013

He Still Says Yes

I have written in the past about my worry that Raccoon watches too much TV. Getting through this pregnancy has been tiring to say the least, so I have pretty much stopped worrying about TV time all together, and just tried to make the best use of his and my time that I can.

But lately, I've seen something that has made me feel encouraged. Despite free access to his movies and shows whenever he wants, they're always his second choice. If I ask him if he wants to play, or go to the park, or read books, he quickly says yes and turns the TV off. If we have had a day out, he doesn't miss the TV or his iPad at all. Although he watches a comparable amount of TV - or more some days - than a few other children we spend time with, he is not addicted to it in the same way that they are. This is entirely by grace and not anything I've done, as I tend to have an addictive personality myself. Yet it makes my heart so glad to hear his little voice say, "Yes!" if there is anything else more interesting to do.

The mommy guilt still overcomes me at times when I see him sitting at his little table, watching a show, and not asking me for anything. I feel like I should be playing with him, savoring our time together 24/7 before the baby comes. Such little things make him content sometimes. Even if I can't offer to play, he loves to have me watch with him (my little extrovert!) and we talk about what's going on. Tomorrow is one of our days. I will try to be present with you, to show you how cherished you are. Sweet Raccoon. I love you so much.

"Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow."

- Mary Anne Radmacher


No comments:

Post a Comment