Thursday, March 13, 2014

Fitting into Life

"Maybe as artists we are always seeking ways to transform our art, and a medium to fit the season in our lives." - Franchesca

This season of having little kids means, for me, that there isn't much time for anything else. The days slip past and there are still so many things I wanted to do. I have a feeling that most of my creativity for the next few months is going to be poured into homeschooling my son, and involving my daughter as much as possible.

I am a daydreamer by nature, and days filled with endless doing are difficult for me. I am not: an efficient person, an organized one, good at balance and moderation. I wander from task to task, leaving a half-finished trail behind me. I like to dive deeply into things, and it often takes me an hour or so to warm up and find my flow. Only having a few minutes here and there to concentrate is frustrating, so instead I attempt nothing.

A medium to fit the season. I like that. First of all, it reminds me that my now is not my forever. Kitty said her first phrase the other day, "Bye bye bow wow." She hasn't been as quick to talk as Raccoon, preferring to use gestures and her own made up signs for communicating. But she will run and talk and in a year or so we'll even be tackling potty training. Raccoon just the other day was a dependent baby and now he happily spends the morning engrossed in projects of his own, only asking for help getting out the "big hammer" and when he needs more nails.

Investing in my children, in myself, in my marriage, these are all things that need to fit into my life. They are my medium, for now.

1 comment:

  1. I hear you. I know how privileged I am to be staying home with Miss S and there are aspects of this season that are wonderful beyond words. But. There are challenges too and what you describe -- the inability to really do anything completely or for long or when it needs doing -- is one of the biggest for me too.

    ReplyDelete